ABOUT EILDON BOAT CLUB
COMFORTABLE & WELL
RESTAURANT FEATURING AN
EXTENSIVE MENU &
MARINAS FOR OVER
BALCONY FOR SPECIAL EVENTS OR A COFFEE
4 Launching Ramps
Family Cottage Accomodation
Fuel Barge & Shoreline Shop
Free Wireless Internet within Harbour
Rescue & Fire Boats
Swimming Pool, BBQ Area & Tennis Court
Transfer Boats For Member Use
Powered Work Jetties & Storage Sheds
Houseboat Cleaning & Maintenance Facilities
Boat Brokerage Services
24 Hour Club Contact
Maintenance Contractors on Site
ALL ABOUT THE EILDON BOAT CLUB
The Eildon Boat Club is the largest inland boating club in Australia. We operate from Lake Eildon, a man-made lake with a shoreline of 530km, almost twice the size of Port Phillip Bay.
The EBC primarily exists to promote water sports through boating. We have skiing, wakeboarding, wakesurfing, fishing and junior water based activities. Socially, we support camaraderie amongst members who not only help each other out, but enjoy the various organised social activities throughout the year, as well as informal get-togethers with new and old friends.
EBC today is a far cry from its heritage. Before the original reservoir was built in the 1920s, fishers were known to form camps on the Goulburn and Delatite Rivers. The original wall was built near the junction of these rivers and was completed in 1927, creating the Sugarloaf Reservoir. As the reservoir began to fill, the fishing camps moved to its shores and boats began to appear.
The State Rivers and Water Supply Commission, SR & WSC, designed the Sugarloaf Reservoir to provide irrigation water for Victoria’s uncultivated northern plains. Storage capacity was increased twice in the ten years since completion of the initial dam, but still, there was not enough water to meet the growing needs of the Goulburn Valley. So the‘Big Eildon Project’ was proposed. Work began in 1951, building a second, higher wall, to increase storage capacity. The project was finished in, 1955, and the lake was renamed Lake Eildon. At the time of the Big Eildon Project proposal in 1950, boats on the dam were mainly cabin style cruisers. They were often moored on the weir near the southeastern end. Several boat owners thought it essential to capitalise on the project. They negotiated with the SR & WSC to ensure a new mooring site. In 1950, the 25 founding members constituted the Eildon Boat Club. Meetings were held in the city of Melbourne, and the first fees were set at one guinea for initial entry and a further one guinea for the annual subscription.
With the assistance of the SR & WSC, the club was granted a lease in what is now named Anderson Harbour, after the club’s founding secretary, Hugh Anderson. The SR & WSC helped clear the harbour and build the original roads, car parks, toilets and other facilities. Their assistance was recompensed through a rental agreement with the club. Members burnt the trees felled by the Commission, and numerous working bees saw the construction of a slipway, moorings, a workshop and a caretaker’s house.
Boating on Lake Eildon flourished after completion of the new weir. When Sir Henry Bolte officially opened the Lake on October 19, 1956, members were invited to participate in a sail past. In the early 1960s, the first houseboat arrived changing the club’s needs – marinas were built, and in 1967 the first clubhouse was erected.
Moving forward to December 1998 and the new clubhouse opened. This magnificent facility can cater at the highest standard for up to 250 people. With views of the harbour, friendly staff, a fine seasonal menu and an excellent wine list, members and guests are assured a relaxing, quality experience. The commitment and dedication of members have ensured EBC facilities have continued to improve. Next to the clubhouse is a tennis court, swimming pool and barbeque area; two 2 bedroom cottages are available for hire and a shoreline shop, fuel barge, slipway, members’ sheds, work jetties, storage sheds and launching ramps are all available to satisfy member needs and provide a positive boating experience.